Reading Boot Camp is a free open-source reading Intervention program designed to turn around an entire school in just 20 days! Reading Boot Camp uses the Finnish model of cooperative learning structures, collaborative teaching, enrichment, and active student learning! Teaching every child in your school to read and reason in twenty days is not only radical but saves tens of thousands in program cost. Turning the reading establishment on its head and saving a lost generation is a radical idea. Spending education budgets on great literature for students, instead of reading software, basal readers, reading intervention programs, and teacher in-service training is a radical idea. Insuring that all students have a real future is just a pipe dream if we stay on this path of chasing reading rainbows. Teaching twelve years in high-poverty schools, with over 95% of the students at risk, has taught me we have lost our way and the establishment is broken. We buy into every program that comes down the pike promising success, yet here we are failing our most needy students. Putting great literature, poetry, games and books in children’s hands is the foundation of Reading Boot Camp, not predigested workbooks, endless teacher-made photo copies, and needless made busy work. Reading Boot Camp is back to basics with a common sense sledge hammer to the outsider. Students find it rewarding and fantastic!
- 107 words make up over 50% of the words you read, speak and hear!
- 1000 words make up 75-80% of the words you read, speak and hear!
- 2,000 words make up 80-90% of the words you read, speak and hear!
Reading Boot Camp Purpose
1) Launch students into the rigorous and intensive
reading and writing program that is taught throughout the year:
2) Accelerate the closure of the academic achievement
gap in lowest quartile students; and 3) Teach the students
cooperative learning structures, school etiquette, classroom manners,
discipline, responsibility and a foundation in classic children’s literature...
Reading Boot Camp is a teaching philosophy that uses collaborative teaching, cooperative learning structures, active student learning, and teacher made curriculum that has many levels, structures, and strategies designed to meet the needs of individual children and classrooms.
Why implement Reading Boot Camp? The real answer is kids love reading and learning! The administrative answer is, 95% of all students that attend Reading Boot Camp make over a years growth in reading. 90% of all students including NES, ESL, and special education students pass state reading test in some of the poorest Title I schools! Reading Boot Camp is the same Education model that is used in Finland with amazingly the same results!
Reading Boot Camp is exciting, rewarding, enriching and fun for ALL students! Teachers can pick up the modified Kagan cooperative learning structures and other literacy strategies with ease. The routines, pacing, structures, strategies are very important to maximize the learning, and to a lesser extent the curriculum! The cooperative learning structures, enrichment, brain breaks are critical to maximizing student’s fast acquisition of language and test performance! 95% passing rates in schools is very common for all RBC graduates! Teachers have to believe in their students, students will rise to the occasion. Playing board games, singing songs, telling jokes, musical brain breaks, and other fun diversions every hour is a very important aspect of RBC success; teachers must buy into the less is more!
Reading Boot Camp does not come in a box or on a CD\DVD!
RBC Unpacked! RBC Core Academic Content
1. Cooperative Learning Structures
2. Fluency Drills
3. Reading Quality Literature
4. Learning Lyrics
5. Games and Enrichment
6. Tier 2 and 3 Vocabulary games
6. Word work
RBC Core Social and Emotional Intelligence Content
1. Cooperative Learning Structures
2. Brainwashing "Social and Emotional Intelligence Lessons"
3. Repeat all declarative lessons! Students need success to buy in.
4. 80-20 rule. I use the 75-25 Rule! 75% academic content 25% enrichment!
5. Energizing Brain Breaks
All of the teaching materials that I have created are free online, other essential materials are traditional classroom libraries. Reading Boot Camp uses a Finnish Model of education, meaning teachers make the curriculum and share!
TEACHING STUDENTS TO NEVER GIVE UP!
The Reason Reading Boot Camp Is Successful!
1. Language and reading is a function of auditory learning, students learn 6 times faster when listening, reading orally, and speaking. Language and vocabulary are mastered with repetition and modeling. When a reading teacher relies too heavily on individual student silent reading and silent writing activities, the speed of auditory learning is lost. By finding cooperative, creative and effective ways to provide more listening, oral reading, and speaking activities, you can give all learners in your reading class an accelerated chance to develop their literacy skills. During all Reading Boot Camp literacy activities the students are ether reading text or listening to text being modeled the within a cooperative learning or team structure. The repetition of seeing, hearing, and speaking vocabulary daily in fun and novel ways builds pathways exponentially, the further you get into the program the greater the automaticity. By day twenty, the brain pathways are automatic, automaticity has been achieved, the kids had fun learning the 800-2350 most used words and are ready to use them.
2. Reading Boot Camp is just that, camp, with camp counselors (teacher) providing highly focused fast, rigorous, cooperative, enriching, active, challenging, and fun, and yes reading activities all day long.
3. Students as teachers, using cooperative learning structures or peer partners for 90% of the activities builds accountability for the teams, and creates personal and interdependent learning that fosters greater success faster. Students are trained to work as cooperative learners, sages, bosses, scribes, secretaries, praisers, and teachers with the ability to run all Reading Boot Camp cooperative learning structures and activities with little assistance from the teacher. Students know all expected learning outcomes and work to meet individual goals and team goals. Students as teachers multiplies the effectiveness of on task behavior and helps student monitor individual progress and partners progress (Force Multiplier).
5. All Reading Boot Camp activities are Brain Based to enhance working memory, executive function and long term memory of materials.
Students make explosive reading growth!
Reading Boot Camp Results 2011-2012 school year!
Reading Boot Camp Results: Seven new students are now reading at grade level after 20 days! 90% of Students made one year growth in reading based on NWEA Map results. The class mean before Reading Boot Camp was 191.76 RIT post RBC was 200.19, 20 days! The expected summer growth according to NWEA MAP norms is 1.8 and the actual class growth was 8.48. (Students in our district do not make summer expected growth gains. End of Year Results: The end of the year MEAN 208.1! 2012
Reading Boot Camp Results 2010 37% started the year reading at grade level now 74% are reading at grade level in 25 days! Reading Boot Camp Results 9/2009 A Jump of 40 percentile points in Reading in 20 Days! 27% on Day ONE, 73% on Day Twenty!
Reading Program Effectiveness: 20 Days!
Eight new students are now reading at grade level after 29 days! 85% of students made more that one year growth in reading. The mean for students not participating in Reading Boot Camp is 194.3 RIT for 4th grade, students participating in Reading Boot Camp the mean is 205.4. Four schools and many more classrooms are participating in RBC this year! Four classrooms are participating at our school and all show statistically significant gains in reading fluency and comprehension! 8/2010
Reading Boot Camp! Make it FUN!
The schedule is not set in stone! Fluency Drills, Sight Word Drills, Singing, Exercising, Emotional Intelligence Lessons, Literacy Games, Board Games, Academic Vocabulary Games, Poetry Readings, Book Clubs, Authors Circles, Jokes, Riddles, Plays, and Tons of Reading Fun!
The only rules for Reading Boot Camp:
Every half hour take a brain and or a movement break!
Sing lots of songs
Uses Cooperative Learning Structures as much as possible
Repeat all declarative lessons (Ex. Vocabulary Tier 1, 2, and 3) within two hours to maximize long term memory of materials
Keep it fun
Skip the published basal readers and computer reading software
READING BOOT CAMP PUTS THE PLAY and ARTS BACK IN LANGUAGE ARTS!
1st Grade Comprehensive English Vocabulary Tier 1, 2 & 3
2nd Grade Comprehensive English Vocabulary Tier 1, 2 & 3
3rd Grade Comprehensive English Vocabulary Tier 1, 2 & 3
Comprehensive Academic Vocabulary Tier 2 Blooms Taxonomy Vocabulary
Academic Vocabulary Tier 2 Blooms Taxonomy Vocabulary
Observe students day one, the students that avoid singing songs will make little gains without more intervention! All Activities are peer to peer!
Sample Daily Schedule
Peer Tutoring Cooperative Learning Structures
Fireside Book Club
Reading Masters By Grade Competition
Vocabulary Game Cards 4th
Vocabulary Game Cards 4th B
Vocabulary Game Cards 5th
Vocabulary Game Cards1st
Vocabulary Game Cards 2nd
Vocabulary Game Cards 3rd
Vocabulary Game Cards 4th
Vocabulary Game Cards 5th
80-90% of Reading Boot Camp activities use partners.
Sing Songs and Sing More Songs ! Get Up and Move !