Reading Topics

▼

Thursday, September 3, 2026

181-DAY OG + MONTESSORI READING ADVENTURE

READING SAGE

181-DAY OG + MONTESSORI READING ADVENTURE

LESSONS 21–30: MEET MORE LETTER SOUNDS


πŸ”€ LESSON 21: MEET THE LETTER T



🎯 Today's Learning Goal

I can recognize the letter t and say its sound.

Today's Sound

t

t says /t/

Like:

🐯 tiger
🐒 turtle
🌳 tree

Parent Tip

Tell your child:

"The /t/ sound is quick. Your tongue taps just behind your top teeth."

Say:

/t/ /t/ /t/


1️⃣ WARM-UP WORDS

Listen for the beginning sound.

tiger
tree
turtle
moon
sun

Ask:

"Which words begin with /t/?"


2️⃣ HEART WORDS

Look and Say

the  I

Practice:

I see the...


3️⃣ THE MINI STORY

🐯 The Tiger

I see the tiger.

The tiger can run.

The tiger is big.


4️⃣ QUESTIONS

1. What animal is in the story?

a. a tiger
b. a fish
c. a pig

2. What can the tiger do?

a. run
b. fly
c. swim


πŸ’¬ TALK IT OVER

Ask:

What sound do you hear at the beginning of tiger?

/t/

Then ask:

Can you think of another word that begins with /t/?

Possible answers:

  • table

  • toy

  • top

  • tent


πŸ”€ LESSON 22: MEET THE LETTER P



🎯 Today's Learning Goal

I can recognize the letter p and say its sound.

Today's Sound

p

p says /p/

Like:

🐷 pig
πŸ–Š️ pen
πŸ₯ž pancake

Parent Tip

Have your child put a hand in front of their mouth.

Say:

/p/

They may feel a little puff of air!


1️⃣ WARM-UP WORDS

Listen for /p/.

pig
pen
pancake
sun
fish

Which words begin with /p/?


2️⃣ HEART WORDS

Look and Say

a  my

Practice:

my pig


3️⃣ THE MINI STORY

🐷 The Pig

I see a pig.

The pig can run.

The pig is pink.


4️⃣ QUESTIONS

1. What animal is in the story?

a. a pig
b. a lion
c. a fish

2. What sound does p make?

/p/


πŸ’¬ TALK IT OVER

Ask:

Can you make the /p/ sound?

Then:

What begins with /p/?

Look around the room together!


πŸ”€ LESSON 23: MEET THE LETTER B



🎯 Today's Learning Goal

I can recognize the letter b and say its sound.

Today's Sound

b

b says /b/

Like:

⚽ ball
🐻 bear
🍌 banana

Parent Tip

Say:

/b/ /b/ /b/

Ask your child:

"Can you feel your lips come together?"


1️⃣ WARM-UP WORDS

Listen for /b/.

ball
bear
banana
moon
sun

Which words begin with /b/?


2️⃣ HEART WORDS

Look and Say

I  see

Practice:

I see a...


3️⃣ THE MINI STORY

🐻 The Bear

I see a bear.

The bear is big.

The bear can run.


4️⃣ QUESTIONS

1. What animal is in the story?

a. a bear
b. a tiger
c. a fish

2. What sound does b make?

/b/


πŸ’¬ TALK IT OVER

Ask:

What do bear and ball have in common?

They both begin with:

/b/

Can you name another /b/ word?


πŸ”€ LESSON 24: MEET THE LETTER D



🎯 Today's Learning Goal

I can recognize the letter d and say its sound.

Today's Sound

d

d says /d/

Like:

🐢 dog
πŸ¦† duck
πŸ¦– dinosaur


1️⃣ WARM-UP WORDS

Listen for /d/.

dog
duck
dinosaur
moon
fish

Which words begin with /d/?


2️⃣ HEART WORDS

Look and Say

the  my

Practice:

my dog


3️⃣ THE MINI STORY

🐢 My Dog

My dog can run.

My dog can jump.

My dog is fun.


4️⃣ QUESTIONS

1. What can the dog do?

a. run and jump
b. fly
c. swim

2. What sound does d make?

/d/


πŸ’¬ TALK IT OVER

Ask:

What sound do you hear first in dog?

/d/

Then:

Can you find something in the room that begins with /d/?


πŸ”€ LESSON 25: MEET THE LETTER K



🎯 Today's Learning Goal

I can recognize the letter k and say its sound.

Today's Sound

k

k says /k/

Like:

πŸͺ kite
πŸ”‘ key
🦘 kangaroo


1️⃣ WARM-UP WORDS

Listen for /k/.

kite
key
kangaroo
sun
moon

Which words begin with /k/?


2️⃣ HEART WORDS

Look and Say

I  like

Practice:

I like...

Let your child finish the sentence.


3️⃣ THE MINI STORY

πŸͺ The Kite

I see a kite.

The kite can fly.

I like the kite.


4️⃣ QUESTIONS

1. What can the kite do?

a. fly
b. swim
c. hop

2. What sound does k make?

/k/


πŸ’¬ TALK IT OVER

Ask:

What sound do you hear first in kite?

/k/

Then:

What other words begin with /k/?

Possible answers:

  • key

  • cat

  • cookie

  • car


πŸ”€ LESSON 26: MEET THE LETTER G



🎯 Today's Learning Goal

I can recognize the letter g and say its hard /g/ sound.

Today's Sound

g

g says /g/

Like:

🐐 goat
🎁 gift
🦍 gorilla

Parent Tip

For now, we are learning the hard /g/ sound.

Later, children will learn that g can sometimes make another sound.


1️⃣ WARM-UP WORDS

Listen for /g/.

goat
gift
gorilla
sun
fish

Which words begin with /g/?


2️⃣ HEART WORDS

Look and Say

I  see

Practice:

I see...


3️⃣ THE MINI STORY

🐐 The Goat

I see a goat.

The goat can run.

The goat is big.


4️⃣ QUESTIONS

1. What animal is in the story?

a. a goat
b. a dog
c. a pig

2. What sound does g make today?

/g/


πŸ’¬ TALK IT OVER

Ask:

Can you name something that begins with /g/?

Possible answers:

  • game

  • gum

  • gift

  • goat


πŸ”€ LESSON 27: MEET THE LETTER C



🎯 Today's Learning Goal

I can recognize the letter c and say its hard /k/ sound.

Today's Sound

c

c can say /k/

Like:

🐱 cat
πŸš— car
πŸ„ cow

Parent Tip

Tell your child:

"Today, c is making the /k/ sound."

Children will later learn that c can also make another sound.


1️⃣ WARM-UP WORDS

Listen for /k/.

cat
car
cow
sun
moon

Which words begin with /k/?


2️⃣ HEART WORDS

Look and Say

a  the

Practice:

the cat


3️⃣ THE MINI STORY

🐱 The Cat

The cat can run.

The cat can hop.

I see the cat.


4️⃣ QUESTIONS

1. What animal is in the story?

a. a cat
b. a fish
c. a bear

2. What sound does c make today?

/k/


πŸ’¬ TALK IT OVER

Ask:

What sound do you hear at the beginning of cat?

/k/

Then compare:

cat — kite

Ask:

Do these words begin with the same sound?

Yes!


πŸ”€ LESSON 28: MEET THE LETTER J



🎯 Today's Learning Goal

I can recognize the letter j and say /j/.

Today's Sound

j

j says /j/

Like:

πŸ«™ jam
πŸ† jaguar
🀹 juggle


1️⃣ WARM-UP WORDS

Listen for /j/.

jam
jaguar
jump
sun
fish

Which words begin with /j/?


2️⃣ HEART WORDS

Look and Say

I  can

Practice:

I can...

Let your child finish the sentence.


3️⃣ THE MINI STORY

🀸 Jump!

I can jump.

I can jump up.

I like to jump.


4️⃣ QUESTIONS

1. What can the child do?

a. jump
b. fly
c. swim

2. What sound does j make?

/j/


πŸ’¬ TALK IT OVER

Ask:

Can you jump one time?

Then ask:

What sound do you hear first in jump?

/j/


πŸ”€ LESSON 29: MEET THE LETTER W



🎯 Today's Learning Goal

I can recognize the letter w and say /w/.

Today's Sound

w

w says /w/

Like:

🌊 water
🚢 walk
🐺 wolf

Parent Tip

Tell your child:

"Round your lips a little and say /w/."


1️⃣ WARM-UP WORDS

Listen for /w/.

water
walk
wolf
sun
fish

Which words begin with /w/?


2️⃣ HEART WORDS

Look and Say

we  can

Practice:

We can...

Let your child finish the sentence.


3️⃣ THE MINI STORY

🌊 Water Fun

We see water.

We can splash.

We like water.


4️⃣ QUESTIONS

1. What do they see?

a. water
b. a moon
c. a tiger

2. What can they do?

a. splash
b. fly
c. roar


πŸ’¬ TALK IT OVER

Ask:

What sound do you hear first in water?

/w/

Then ask:

Can you think of another /w/ word?

Possible answers:

  • walk

  • wall

  • window

  • wagon


⭐ LESSON 30: MEET THE LETTER H



🎯 Today's Learning Goal

I can recognize the letter h and say /h/.

Today's Sound

h

h says /h/

Like:

🏠 house
🎩 hat
🐴 horse

Parent Tip

Have your child put a hand in front of their mouth.

Say:

/h/ /h/ /h/

They should feel a soft puff of air.


1️⃣ WARM-UP WORDS

Listen for /h/.

hat
house
horse
sun
fish

Which words begin with /h/?


2️⃣ HEART WORDS

Look and Say

I  have

Practice:

I have...

Let your child finish the sentence.


3️⃣ THE MINI STORY

🎩 The Hat

I have a hat.

My hat is big.

I like my hat.


4️⃣ QUESTIONS

1. What does the child have?

a. a hat
b. a dog
c. a fish

2. What sound does h make?

/h/


πŸ’¬ TALK IT OVER

Ask:

Can you feel the little puff of air when you say /h/?

Then ask:

What begins with /h/?

Possible answers:

  • house

  • hand

  • hair

  • horse


⭐ LESSONS 21–30 CHECKPOINT

Your child has now met many more letter sounds!

Review Today's New Letters

t • p • b • d • k • g • c • j • w • h

Ask your child to say the sound for each letter.

πŸ”€ LESSONS 21–30 CHECKPOINT



🎯 Learning Goal: Review and solidify all the new letter sounds learned in Lessons 21–30!

πŸ”€ Today's Letters Review

Point randomly to each letter below and ask your child to say its sound:

LetterSoundExample Word
t/t/🐯 tiger
p/p/🐷 pig
b/b/🐻 bear
d/d/🐢 dog
k/k/πŸͺ kite
g/g/🐐 goat
c/k/🐱 cat
j/j/πŸ«™ jam
w/w/🌊 water
h/h/🎩 hat

1️⃣ SOUND DETECTIVE WARM-UP

Ask: "Which sound do you hear at the beginning of each word?"

  • 🐯 tiger → /t/

  • 🐷 pig → /p/

  • 🐻 bear → /b/

  • 🐢 dog → /d/

  • πŸͺ kite → /k/

  • 🐐 goat → /g/

  • 🐱 cat → /k/

  • 🀸 jump → /j/

  • 🌊 water → /w/

  • 🎩 hat → /h/

2️⃣ HEART WORDS REVIEW

Review these key sight words together:

πŸ’– I πŸ’– a πŸ’– the πŸ’– my πŸ’– see πŸ’– can πŸ’– like πŸ’– have πŸ’– we

Practice Sentences:

  • "I have a..."

  • "We can see the..."

3️⃣ THE MINI STORY

πŸ“– A Big Day

I see a dog.

The dog can run.

We have a hat for the dog.

My day is fun!

4️⃣ QUESTIONS & TALK IT OVER

  1. What animal is in the story?

    • a. a dog (🐢)

    • b. a cat (🐱)

    • c. a goat (🐐)

  2. What does the dog have?

    • a. a hat (🎩)

    • b. a kite (πŸͺ)

    • c. a jam jar (πŸ«™)

πŸ’¬ Celebrate Success:

"Look how many letters and sounds you know now! You are well on your way to blending these sounds into full words!"


πŸŽ‰ CELEBRATE!

Your child now knows that:

Letters represent sounds.
Sounds can be heard at the beginning of words.
Different letters make different sounds.
And those sounds will soon be put together to read words.

By the end of the next group of lessons, your child will have encountered nearly all of the foundational consonant sounds needed to begin serious work with simple CVC words such as:

mat • sat • map • tap • cat • hat

And that is where the real reading adventure begins! πŸŒ±πŸ“š

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!