The free pdf. docs listed are a great tool for all teachers in any grade to teach Author's Purpose.
Author’s Purpose, Point of View and Tone
Author's Purpose Reading Comprehension
Reading Strategies Authors Purpose
Author's Purpose Parent Materials
A STUDY GUIDE FOR: AUTHOR’S PURPOSE & PERSPECTIVE
Author's Purpose Guild and Lesson Plans
Text Features and Author's Purpose
Author's Purpose and Tone of Voice
Authors Purpose : Making Judgments Authors Purpose Language Frames
Testing Vocabulary Question Verbs and Stems
End of Grade Reading Passage Test | Use the EOC Test at One Grade Above to Meet the Common Core Higher Lexile Reading Passage Levels
COMMON CORE Annotated Test Questions
Grade 8 Mathematics Annotated 2013 State Test Questions
- Grade 3
- Grade 4
- Grade 5
- Grade 6
- Grade 7
- Grade 8
http://teacher.depaul.edu More Resources
8th-10th Grade Reading Level
LESSONS & UNITS: AUTHOR'S PURPOSE 2ND GRADE UNIT LESSONS & UNITS: AUTHOR'S PURPOSE 3RD GRADE UNIT
LESSONS & UNITS: AUTHOR'S PURPOSE 4TH GRADE UNIT
Quick Over of Author's Purpose From the Florida Department of Education.
Author’s Purpose is the reason why the text was written. There are four main purposes to an author’s passage.
To: 1.Persuade 2. Inform 3. Entertain 4. Explain
Author’s Purpose: To Persuade
• It’s the author’s goal to persuade the reader to agree with the author’s opinion.
• Even though the author shares his opinion, he may provide facts or examples to support the opinion.
• Examples: advertisements, commercials, newspaper editorial, etc.
Author's Purpose: To Inform
• It’s the author’s goal to enlighten the reader with topics that are usually real or contain facts.
• Facts are used to teach, not to persuade.
• Examples: textbooks, cookbooks, newspapers, encyclopedias, etc.
Author’s Purpose: To Entertain
• It is the author’s goal to simply entertain; provide enjoyment for the reader
Author’s Purpose: To Explain
• It is the author’s goal to tell a story or describe real or imaginary characters, places, and events
• Examples: poems, stories, plays, comic strips, etc.
Aut hors Purpose Quiz Extended Response
Author’s Purpose: Question Stems
• What was the author’s purpose in writing this article/passage?
• What does the author mean when he/she writes “____________________”?
• Why did the author write this article?
• Which statement best describes what the author thinks?
• What is the author’s attitude towards ________ in this article?
• What kind of article did the author write?
• The author wants the reader to think ______________.
• Which feature of ________ does the author most value?
• The author/narrator could most likely agree with which statement?
• Why does the author describe _______ in such detail?
- Author's Purpose - A Very Important Day Grade 4
- Author's Purpose - Blue Willow Grade 4
- Author's Purpose - Frindle Grade 5
- Author's Purpose - Little by Little Grade 5
- Author's Purpose - The Crowded House Grade 3
- Author's Purpose - The Down and Up Fall Grade 4
- Author's Purpose - Turtle Bay Grade 3
- Author's Purpose - Wild Shots, They're My Life Grade 3