students. She was shy and always very quite but she seemed depressed. He was worried that she was clinically depressed after her father was deported and her mom moved back to Mexico. She was always a very serious child but this was something different. She did not seem to have any close friends at school that she could confide in. She sat towards the front of the class and was always the last to leave class, taking any leftover snacks home for her and her grandma. She was always reticent of sharing with school officials because her grandma told her they could be arrested and deported. Mr. Taylor decided that he was going to invite her to lunch and talk with her to see what he could do to help her.
What I love about IEW:
- Mentor texts that are Socratic Seminar worthy.
- Close reading strategies that are easy to teach and result in deep understanding of complex text.
- Easy to teach, fun for students and super effective.
- Great student reference materials.
- Professional development that is fun and saturated with classroom applications that are easily implemented.
- Materials that are linear and spiraling.