Thursday, December 8, 2011

Reading Strategies

Reading Strategies for Dyslexic and Learning Disabled Students


Sean Taylor: The Dyslexic Reading Teacher

I learned most of my reading strategies and compensatory learning skills trying to pass unnoticed in my regular education classes as a child. My peers that struggled with learning disabilities and reading problems exhibited at times antisocial behaviors, depression, and or just shut down as a defense mechanism because of the failure. Learning and using reading and learning strategies literally saved my academic future from falling through the educational cracks. Taking to heart the meaning of philosophy, the love of learning, wisdom and knowledge, this was my key to success. Learning did not have to mean phonics drills, decoding words from a book, it could be learned from sage conversations with wise teachers that stretched the mind.I knew most teachers focused on the mechanics of learning not the comprehension and understanding. The mechanics of reading was a tiresome slow path for learning, understanding, and knowledge. I knew I had to find my own path or I was going to waist my time in school spinning my wheels not learning.  I personally did not care about the methods for acquiring the knowledge, wisdom and understanding just that I wanted to comprehend and understand the world.
     My peers may have understood the mechanics of English better than I ever could, but they could not comprehend the deeper insight that a mind freed of conventions is aloud to reason and dream. I freed my mind from the mechanics/conventions of learning because my dyslexia gave me no choice.. I could not physically read very well, but I new that I could understand and comprehend the deepest ideas that writers are sharing on a page if I train my self to actively think and reason through the ideas and make my own meaning. You may ask how can a child learn to think and reason critically, the simple answers is the fear that people might think I was STUPID. One of those irrational fears that kids have, that set my mind to inventing compensatory learning skills. As they say necessity is the mother of invention.

TOP 10 Reading Strategies
  1. Read out-loud and have deep conversations about the readings
  2. Ask lots of questions to populate your minds curiosity
  3. Seek wise teachers that share the truth ( many teacher dumb things down for kids)
  4. Use a giant old encyclopedic dictionary to look up words
  5. Take notes and write words that your brain can chew on
  6. Reread everything and find new ideas and meaning every-time
  7. Read like actors reading for a play with passion and enthusiasm
  8. Find books that create a passion for learning
  9. Go to poetry readings 
  10. Learn to sing new lyrics and songs
  11. Play strategy games that engage deep concentration
  12. Create time in your life to create serenity, bliss and wisdom from beautiful prose and poetry
  13. MAKE READING A DAILY HABIT IN YOUR HOME

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!