Friday, January 20, 2012

Motivating Boys to Read

Motivating Kids to Read: Using games and simulations to spark a love of reading in boys.
Reading as a rhetorical exercise was a laborious and virtually impossible task as a boy growing up with dyslexia. I avoided reading and books like the black plague. My teachers tried to find anything and everything to spark my interest in reading but had very little luck. My first literary muse was a very special gift from my uncle Mike  on my ninth birthday. My uncle bought the RED boxed set of Dungeons and Dragons; that day I have to say, was the first time in my life, I can remember that I was excited about books and reading. The pictures were fascinating but I wanted to discover what was written on the page. The next few years I proudly built my first collection of books, all Dungeons and Dragons and game related. I went from a non reader that almost hated books to a lover of all literature especially history.
      My family had planted the seeds earlier with many wonderful hours and days playing backgammon, chess, board games and strategy games. I took my passion for games and used that as my muse, my fuel to push through the task of learning how to read my first D&D books. Finding the catalyst for boys is maybe just getting some old fashioned war and strategy games or start with the classic D&D. Today  I use many learning simulations and even role playing games in my classroom to motivate and let kids get into the learning and experience it first hand. Role playing games like Dungeons and Dragons may be out of vogue or nerdy but my boys and girls beg to read my old collections of books. Try taking your boys to a local game shop and see what sparks their interest.  Sean Taylor Dyslexic Reading Teacher

Dedicated to my Uncle Mike

Dungeons & Dragons (abbreviated as D&D or DnD) is a fantasy role-playing game (RPG) originally designed by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, and first published in 1974 by Tactical Studies Rules, Inc. (TSR). The game has been published by Wizards of the Coast since 1997. It was derived from miniature war games with a variation of the Chainmail game serving as the initial rule system. D&D's publication is widely regarded as the beginning of modern role-playing games and the role-playing game industry. Wiki Article

Movie Star, Director, Writer, Vin Diesel is a Fan and D&D Player!

Live Action Role Playing (LARP): Forest Battle
Wizards of the Coast! The home of D&D!

Great free role playing cards, games and rules for young boys and girls!

Starter Set Supplemental Character Cards

Journey back to the realm of nostalgia as we celebrate the release of the Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Roleplaying Game starter set! (Also affectionately known by longtime players as the "Red Box.") Enjoy these retro-style, old-school character cards... a perfect supplement to the your Essentials starter set!

Download all the character cards (2.42 Mbs).
Download Ander, Halfling Rogue (729 Kbs pdf).
Download Brannus, Human Fighter (664 Kbs pdf).
Download Harbek, Dwarf Fighter (800 Kbs pdf).
Download Korzon, Human Cleric (856 Kbs pdf).
Download Lucan, Elf Wizard (730 Kbs pdf).
Download Thia, Elf Rogue (123 Kbs pdf).

A Dream Deferred

by Langston Hughes

What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up 
like a raisin in the sun? 
Or fester like a sore-- 
And then run? 
Does it stink like rotten meat? 
Or crust and sugar over-- 
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags 
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?

Don't let learning to read be a dream deffered!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!