Top Ten Ways to Truly Help Dyslexic AND Dysgraphic BOYS Learn to Love Reading and Writing!
- Read Great Literature Daily
- Read Fairy Tales, Folk Tales and Fables to build literary background knowledge
- Use Books on Tape to Build a Love of Reading
- Read everything out loud with the text visually tracked by the student!
- Learn cursive first and skip printing Think Art and Calligraphy!
- While writing, say what you are writing out loud
- Read high-interest books with the child cover to cover if possible in one sitting
- Turn the closed captioning on anytime your child watches TV
- Watch music videos that have the lyrics embedded
- Read movie scripts and act out the scenes while reading to increase engagement
- Play lots of fun complex strategy games that take reading complex instructions Book Based Role Playing Games
- Build old fashion models that require step by step instructions
- Use bookmarks, pointers, color cover overlays, fingers to always track the text and keep it targeted
- Make reading engaging with Socratic seminars
- Use formative reading assessments not summative assessments
- Turn off the TV, Computers and Smart Phones
Some of My Favorite Links to Great Free Resources