A genre is a category of literary composition, such as poetry, literary techniques, literary devices, tone, content, or even length. conventions, structures, styles, and organization.
- What is a genre?
- What is your favorite genre of book?
- What characteristics of genre can you use to compare or contrast nursery rhymes, plays, stories, tall tales, fables, fantasy, historical fiction, poetry, and or any work of fiction?
- How do you determine if a statement is make-believe in work of fiction?
- How do you use repetition, alliteration, assonance, and or rhyme scheme in poetry? How can you determine what poetic devices are used in a poem?
- What clues or attributes can you use to recognize the different literary terms associated with either drama and poetry?
- How do you Interpret key characteristics and attributes of fables and fiction?
- What structural elements in drama do you need to understand to write a play? Why is understanding terms like actor, setting, plot, spectacle, conflict, and dialogue that refer to drama important to to appreciate dramas at a deeper level?
- How do inferences, conclusions, and predictions made by the audience keep readers engaged in a story?
- Why is drawing conclusions or making inferences critical to understanding the author's point of view? How does the author's point of view effect the themes, plot, mood, tone, in a story?
- What are some clues you might use to identify who the narrator is in a story?
- How can you recognizes, first, second, and third-person point of view in a literary work?
- Why is it important to understand how first-person and third-person narratives differ in telling a story?
- What is the effect of the narrator's point of view on the reader? How could the plot unfold if the narrator had a different point of view?
- How would the story be different if it was told from another point of view? What are your predictions it the story was told from the antagonist point of view?
- What literary clues can you use to determines the specific purpose of any literary text?
- How are images or symbolism used to contribute a deeper meaning in a literary work or change the tone in literary text?
- How does the form, structure, rhyming scheme, figurative language, or poetic devices of a poem add to its meaning?
- How does the structure of a poem contributes to its literal or figurative meaning?
- What are the characteristics or attributes of an allegorical or poetic fable? Why do fables use a hidden meaning to teach a moral?
- How can you determine the rhyming scheme in a poem?
- What are the attributes that you can use to identify form, structure, stanzas, and rhyming scheme in poetry?
- What are the purposes of nonfiction, fiction, plays, and dramas?
- Why is dialogue important for advancing the plot in a story?
- Why is dialogue the primary literary technique of most dramatic works of literature?
- What can you infer about the (plot) exposition, rising action, climax, turning point, falling action, resolution in work of fiction?
- How does the author use dialogue to advance the plot in a literary text?
- How can you identify the elements of plot such as exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or obligatory scene in a literary text?
- What are some plot developments that impacted the ...? What are terms that are commonly used to describe plot elements?
[PDF]Genre Characteristics Chart - EIU
Genre. Definition. Frequently Found Elements. Picture Book Examples. Compiled by Marcie Haloin, with input from Gaylynn Jameson, JoAnne Piccolo, and Kari ...
[PDF]genre characteristics chart - Scholastic
clue that leads the reader to false conclusions. GENRE CHARACTERISTICS CHART. Following is an overview of some genres (text-types) that are often read by ...
[PDF]Genre Characteristics - ReadWriteThink
Genre Characteristics. FANTASY: • contains elements that are not realistic o talking animals o magical powers o often set in a medieval universe o possibly ...
[PDF]Genre Characteristics Eiu
anchor chart for biography features.pdf ... genre characteristics chart ... genre characteristics - eastern illinois.
[PDF]Literary Genres General List Fiction Genres - Webberville Schools
Literary Genres. General List. Fiction Genres: Fairy Tales. Definition: Literary genre that is a story, usually for children, about elves, hobgoblins, dragons, fairies,.
[PDF]Genres: Let's Make Comparisons - American Library Association
comparison checklist (compare the genre characteristics of poetry, fables and folktales ... a KWHLchart throughout the lesson, a genre characteristic comparison.
[PDF]Study Guide for Genre Study - Heinemann
ing to teach more explicitly about the characteristics of genre that the students ... The following chartprovides a summary of each module and a list of materials ...
[PDF]Literary Genres - PDF
LITERARY GENRES false, fantasy, fable, fairy tale, fictitious, fabricated, phony, .... characteristic of a play. Writing Styles. Identifying The Literary Genre. 1.
[PDF]Chart of Text Forms and Genres - eWorkshop
Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2006. Chart of Text Features, Forms, and Genres. Text Features. (Design/presentation). Text Forms. (Physical forms and functions).
[PDF]Completed Genre Characteristics Bookmarks - WOUB
Completed Genre Characteristics Bookmarks ... pictures, illustrations charts, graphs, diagrams, tables, or maps to clarify information. •. Usually has a ...
[PDF]HISTORICAL FICTION CHARACTERISTICS
Books or stories in the historical fiction genre blend actual historical facts with fiction. The chart below describes the characteristics of the historical fiction genre.
[PDF]Genres at a Glance Genres at a Glance
Genres at a Glance. Genres at a Glance. Fiction. Code. Genre. Definition. Definition. TL. Traditional. Literature. Stories that are passed down from one group to.
[PDF]Characteristics of Realistic Fiction
Montgomery County Public Schools, Maryland. Integrated Curriculum 2011. Characteristics of Realistic Fiction. A classification of literature containing stories that ...
[PDF]Analyze the Features of a Biography - Benchmark Writer's Workshop
analyze what those special features of a biography are. Build a Class Genre Features Anchor Chart. Say: I want you to think about biographies you have read ...