4th Grade Science Test
Weather, Climate & Environment
Thursday, March 1, 2012
4th Grade Science Test: Weather, Climate & Environment
Instructions: Choose the best answer for each question.
1. everything that surrounds living things and affects growth and health; the natural world.
2. the conditions outside. __________ concerns such things as temperature, rain, snow, sun, and other things.
3. the act or process of changing from a gas to a liquid.
4. the forward edge of a mass of cold or warm air.
5. of, pertaining to, or according to geology.
6. a sudden, strong flow of water onto land that should not be under water.
7. the usual weather conditions in a place.
8. to give off water from a surface in the form of vapor.
9. the movement or transfer of heat through a liquid or gas because of the natural rising of the heated parts and sinking of the cooled parts.
10. the earth's crust.
11. snow, sleet, rain, or hail that falls to the surface of the earth, or the amount of it that falls in a given period of time.
12. to guess or estimate or predict the weather, it will rain tomorrow or the storm will hit the town.
13. a form of matter that can flow and is neither a solid nor a gas. Water is the most common kind of __________ on earth.
14. having to do with or coming from the sun.
15. water vapor or moisture in the air.
16. the gases that are in the space around the earth.
17. a white or gray mass of small drops of water high in the sky above the earth.
18. air as it moves over the surface of the earth created by the heat of the sun.
19. tiny pieces of a liquid or solid that float in a gas.
20. made entirely of a single material or thing, not a gas or liquid.
21. the warming of the earth's surface that takes place when heat from the sun is held in by the earth's atmosphere. The __________ can be caused by too much carbon dioxide being released into the air from the burning of fossil fuels.
22. to turn from liquid into gas; pass away in the form of vapor.
23. a long period with little or no rain.