The Joy Engine: Fidelity to the Child in Education SMARTBOARD PRESENTATION SLIDES I
The Joy Engine: Fidelity to the Child in Education SMARTBOARD PRESENTATION SLIDES II
Introduction VERSION I
The Joy Engine
Fidelity to the Child in Education
Why we teach is the key question underneath everything else in this book, and I've come to believe the answer isn't something a teacher decides alone. You have to listen to the children. They will always be your best teachers. Every student I've had the privilege of teaching across twenty-five years in a classroom was, in some real sense, my greatest teacher — each one a doorway into building the magic classroom, the sanctuary, the structures this book describes. They are the reason it exists at all.
Education in the United States — and increasingly, education
around the world — is standing at a crossroads.
One road leads toward a future we can already see forming.
Artificial intelligence can explain nearly any academic concept in seconds. It
can generate lessons, write essays, summarize books, translate languages,
create assessments, tutor students, and adapt explanations almost instantly.
The technology is improving fast enough that prediction has become dangerous.
What seems remarkable today may look ordinary by the time this book reaches a
classroom.
So the real question isn't how should we use AI in
schools. The real question is: what is school for, once a machine can
increasingly teach the information itself? Are we moving toward classrooms
where AI systems stand at the front of the room delivering instruction? Or are
we going to double down on what human beings can do that machines cannot —
build schools around relationship, empathy, curiosity, judgment, creativity,
courage, belonging, and joy? The future of education may not be decided by how
intelligent our machines become. It may be decided by how seriously we take the
development of the humans sitting in front of them. This book is my argument
for a human-centered future — and, I'll admit up front, for something older
than any of us: Benjamin Bloom's decades-old challenge to the whole profession,
which I'll come back to shortly, because everything in the seven chapters that
follow is my attempt to answer it.
The Question Beneath Every Other Question
For most of modern education, the central questions have
been academic. How do we raise reading scores? How do we close achievement
gaps? How do we hold schools accountable? Those are real questions. But I
believe there's one underneath all of them: what kind of human being is
education supposed to help a child become?
That question changes everything it touches — what we teach,
how we teach it, how we measure success, what we mean by rigor, what a
classroom is supposed to feel like. A child is not a test score waiting to be
improved, or a data point moving through a dashboard, or an empty container
waiting for information. A child is a human being arriving at school with a
history, a personality, fears, strengths, wounds, and possibilities no
standardized assessment was ever built to capture. And yet a great deal of modern
education has organized itself around systems that require us to forget that,
one measurement at a time — we sort, we group, we remediate, we benchmark, we
report, and somewhere in all of it, it's possible to lose sight of the person
we were supposed to be helping.
The central idea of this book is simple: education has to
return to fidelity to the child. Not fidelity to a purchased curriculum, a
pacing guide, an assessment platform, or the newest trend. Fidelity to the
child. The question becomes: what does this specific child need to thrive? And
then: what do we build around them to make that possible?
Bloom's Question, Which This Whole Book Is Trying to Answer
In 1984, the educational psychologist Benjamin Bloom
published a finding that has quietly haunted American education ever since,
even in the buildings where nobody could name it. Bloom found that students who
received one-on-one tutoring performed, on average, two standard deviations
better than students who received conventional group instruction — enough to
move an average student from the 50th percentile to roughly the 98th. He called
it the Two Sigma Problem, and he posed it as an open challenge to the entire
field: how do you deliver something close to that result to a room of
twenty-five or thirty students and one teacher, without simply hiring a tutor
for every child in the country?
Nobody has fully solved it. I don't claim to have fully
solved it either. But over more than twenty-five years in classrooms, I found
seven conditions that, built together, get closer to it than anything else I've
tried, read about, or watched another teacher attempt. This book is organized
around those seven conditions. Every chapter that follows will come back to
this same question, from a different angle: not did the score go up, but
did we get closer to what one-on-one attention already gives a lucky few,
for a room that will never have it literally? That's the whole argument of
this book, and I wanted to name it here, plainly, before asking you to spend
the next seven chapters inside it.
The Shield of the Mind
Aspasia of Miletus has long fascinated me — at least the
version of her that survives in the historical tradition, since the actual
historical record on her is thin and contested, filtered through Plato, through
comic satirists who mocked her, and through much later writers who idealized
her into something more certain than the evidence really supports. What that
tradition represents, whether or not every detail of it is verifiable, is
something I've valued deeply: the courage to think, to question, to reason, and
to participate in difficult conversations about the world as it is and as it
could be. The idea associated with that tradition — that education should help
develop the mind as a shield — speaks directly to the moment we're living in
now.
The purpose of education can't simply be filling a child's
head with information. Information is everywhere now, free and instant. The
purpose has to be teaching a child how to think — how to question, evaluate
evidence, recognize manipulation, distinguish confidence from truth, change
their mind when the evidence changes, and ask the difficult question everyone
else has quietly decided not to ask. A mind that can think is difficult to
control. A mind that can question is difficult to deceive. A child who has
learned to reason carries something into a complicated world more valuable than
a memorized answer: the ability to find one.
That idea followed me long before I had language for it,
because my own education began with a problem I couldn't reason my way around.
The Child Who Could Not Pretend
There are things you can bluff your way through as a child.
Reading was not one of them. Writing was not one of them. School has a way of
exposing exactly the things you can't do, and I learned that early, well before
anyone had a name for why. I would eventually be diagnosed with dyslexia and
dysgraphia. Before there were explanations, there was just failure — or at
least what felt like failure. I watched other children read and write like it
required an entirely different operating system than the one I'd been given,
and there is a particular kind of pain in believing everyone around you has
been handed a map you can't read. I was picked on. I was laughed at. School was
not, for me, automatically a sanctuary. There were mornings I hated getting up
because I knew exactly where I was going. I've described school, at times, as a
small death. That might sound dramatic to someone who loved school. It never
feels dramatic to a child who dreads walking through the door.
But something else was happening underneath the dread. I was
becoming curious. Why was school so hard for me specifically? Why did some
children thrive while others quietly disappeared? Why were some kids called
gifted while others were taught, just as quietly, to lower their own
expectations? Why did some classrooms feel alive while others felt like places
where time went to vanish? And, eventually, the question that mattered most: what
if the problem wasn't always the child? What if, sometimes, the system needed
to change instead?
Curiosity Became My Compass
I've never been especially good at accepting an answer just
because someone important told me it was true. That's made parts of my life
harder. It's also taken me around the world. My year in Sweden became one of
the real turning points — I went to expand my horizons, to see another country
and another culture and understand how other educators actually thought about
teaching, working alongside a cohort of teachers and educators mostly from
across Europe. The experience changed the questions I knew how to ask. My
master's work eventually focused on the acculturation of second- and
third-generation non-European families and students into the Swedish
educational system — at its heart, how do you build a system where children
from dramatically different cultural, linguistic, and educational backgrounds
don't just attend or comply or survive, but genuinely thrive? That question
became personal fast, because I'd spent much of my own childhood inside a
system that didn't always know what to do with me. I started wondering what
would happen if we built classrooms differently from the ground up. What if we
observed before we intervened? Listened before we labeled? Treated a child's
difficulty as information about the environment around them, rather than a
verdict about the child? What if education wasn't something done to
children, but something built with them?
Yvette, My First Reading Teacher
Yvette — a pseudonym, like every student name in this book —
was an absolute darling who could melt your heart with her smile. On the first
day of school, she was so excited you'd have thought she was walking into
Disneyland for the first time. She had one single goal, and she'd brought it
with her, tucked under both arms: a tattered stuffed Clifford and a well-worn
copy of Clifford the Big Red Dog. She was going to learn to read that
book. More specifically, she was going to read it to her mother. "My mom
can't read to me," she told me, "so I want to learn how to read to
her." That was the whole plan, delivered by a seven-year-old with more
clarity of purpose than most adults manage about anything.
She became my introduction to teaching a self-contained,
cross-categorical special education classroom, and I want to be honest about
where I actually stood that year: I was a first-year teacher who did not know
how to teach reading, let alone how to teach a student who'd already been
formally classified, in the language of the time, as having a mild intellectual
disability — a diagnosis that used to carry a much crueler clinical label, one
no longer used in the field for good reason, but one I heard applied to her
more than once by adults who should have known better. Her IEP reflected
exactly how low the bar had been set: her only goal for the entire year was to
learn thirteen letters of the alphabet. Nothing more. Nobody had written down
an expectation that she would ever actually read.
Yvette never did grasp phonics — not the forty-some phonemic
sounds, not the rules connecting them. With her own learning profile and the
sheer irregularity of English spelling working against her, most conventional
instruction left her lost, and it left me just as lost trying to deliver it. So
we did something different: we treated every single word as a sight word, and
we practiced. We worked through the Dolch list first, then just kept going —
over seven hundred flashcards by the end of the year, covering every word and
phrase in her Clifford books, in fairy tales, in songs and nursery rhymes she
loved. Each card got a sticker or a smiley face the moment she mastered it, and
she measured her own progress in exactly that currency: how many cards we'd made
together. We ran two ninety-minute reading blocks a day, same as every student
below grade level at that school, and she never once complained about the
length of it. The only thing that reliably interrupted the lesson was Yvette
needing a hug, or Yvette getting so excited about a new word that a hug became
mandatory before we could continue.
At the end of that year, her mother came to visit. Yvette
sat her down and read her Clifford, cover to cover, out loud, for the first
time in either of their lives. Her mother cried. I did not do that by following
a curriculum. I did it by refusing to accept a goal of thirteen letters as the
ceiling on what a determined seven-year-old could do, and by being willing to
build seven hundred flashcards, one at a time, until "impossible"
stopped being true.
I want to be plain about something, because I think it
matters more than the sweetness of the story: I have heard, over more than two
decades since, versions of the same sentence aimed at other children like her. It
can't be done. She can't do it. They will never read. The books are too hard.
Yvette is the reason I have never once said that sentence and meant it. She
taught me more that year than I taught her — that the label on a file is not a
verdict, that a burning-enough desire in a seven-year-old can outrun a
diagnosis, and that a teacher's job, when the conventional method fails, is to
find the one that doesn't, not to lower the goal until failure becomes
impossible to notice. She was my first reading teacher. Everything in the seven
chapters that follow is, in some sense, still me trying to live up to what she
taught me that year.
Empathy Is a Form of Intelligence
Years later, I encountered the design-thinking process
associated with Stanford and other innovation communities, and the language was
different from education but the idea felt immediately familiar: you cannot
solve a problem you don't understand, and you cannot understand a human problem
entirely from a distance. You have to get close. Observe. Listen. Develop real
empathy — a word fashionable enough now that it can lose its force, but which
may be one of the most powerful forms of intelligence we have. Empathy changes
the question. Instead of why won't this child behave, you ask what is
this child experiencing. Instead of why isn't this student trying harder,
you ask what has this student already learned to believe about themselves.
It doesn't mean lowering expectations. It means understanding where someone is
actually standing before deciding where they need to go next.
My own childhood gave me that vantage point whether I wanted
it or not. Being laughed at didn't make me stronger because suffering is good
for anyone — it made me more aware of exactly what cruelty feels like from the
inside. Being excluded gave me a real, felt sense of why belonging matters, not
because exclusion is a teaching strategy worth recommending. I knew what it
felt like to sit in a room wondering whether everyone else had been let in on
something about you that you hadn't been told yourself. I never wanted a child
in my own classroom to carry that particular feeling if I could help it.
A Miracle Called The Sound of Music
My life didn't move in a straight line. There were failures,
real detours, and, every so often, something closer to a miracle. One of those
was being cast in a production of The Sound of Music as a kid. For
someone who struggled to find solid footing inside traditional academic
systems, the arts offered something different — a doorway, a form of
expression, a different definition of competence than the one school kept
handing back to me. It taught me something education still needs to remember: a
child can fail to shine in one environment while carrying extraordinary gifts
that only become visible somewhere else entirely. That experience is a real
part of why I never treated art as decoration, music as an interruption, or
drama as what happens after the real work is done. For a lot of children, those
are the doors. And once a child walks through the right one, they sometimes
discover rooms inside themselves nobody — including them — knew were there. The
job of education was never to force every child through the same doorway. The
job is building a school with enough doors that every child finds theirs.
The Search for the Classroom I Needed
Eventually, I became a teacher, and once I had my own room,
I started a long experiment — not designed in a laboratory, but in real
classrooms with real children, always circling some version of the same
question: how do we build a learning environment where more children can
actually thrive? I looked everywhere. Montessori. Structured literacy.
Orton-Gillingham. Singapore mathematics. Cooperative learning. Classical
education. Odyssey of the Mind. Games, art, puppetry, cooking, making, peer
teaching, Socratic discussion, explicit instruction, hands-on learning. The
ideas didn't always fit together neatly. That was the point — I wasn't looking
for an ideology, I was looking for what actually worked. Gradually, something
emerged that wasn't a program or a purchased solution. It was a set of
conditions. Over years of teaching, experimenting, failing, adjusting, and
watching closely, I found what I now call the seven foundations of the Joy
Engine — not handed to me, found, one classroom, one mistake, one child at a
time.
The Seven Foundations
The Sanctuary asks whether a child feels safe enough
to learn.
The Structure asks whether the environment is
organized enough for children to actually succeed inside it.
The Dosage asks whether students get enough practice
and repetition for learning to become durable.
The Bridge asks whether we're providing enough
pathways from concrete experience to abstraction, so decoding never becomes an
artificial ceiling on thinking.
The Multiplier asks how a room distributes expertise
and attention so that learning isn't limited to one adult standing in front of
twenty-five or thirty children.
The Joy Engine asks whether learning is emotionally
alive enough to be remembered, and worth coming back to.
The Mastery Contract asks whether a student knows
exactly where they're going and what success actually looks like along the way.
None of these promise perfection. Nothing in education does
— children are complicated, classrooms are complicated, families are
complicated, and life walks through the door every morning whether the lesson
plan made room for it or not. But I believe these seven conditions genuinely
help, because they're an attempt to replicate, imperfectly but deliberately,
some of what individualized attention already provides for free. A tutor sees
the child in front of her; the Joy Engine asks how a room of thirty can learn
to see every child more clearly. A tutor adjusts instruction immediately; the
Joy Engine asks how a system builds that same responsiveness into a much larger
group. A tutor knows the instant a child disengages; the Joy Engine asks how to
build an environment where disengagement gets harder and real participation
gets easier. The goal was never to turn teachers into machines. It's to build
classrooms that behave more intelligently, because they were actually designed
around how human beings learn.
The Hard Questions
This book isn't asking you to agree with everything I did.
Honestly, I hope you don't — I hope you question it, challenge it, and hold it
up against your own classroom to see where it fits and where it doesn't. The
spirit of this book was never do exactly what I did. It's ask why
you're doing what you're doing. Why this curriculum? Why this assessment?
Why this schedule, this behavior system, this grouping? Why is this specific
child struggling — and what have we actually observed, versus what are we
simply assuming? What are we measuring, and what are we quietly ignoring
because it's harder to measure? And finally: if we were building this classroom
from the ground up, for the specific children actually sitting in it, would we
build it the way it's built right now? That's the question at the center of
fidelity to the child. Sometimes the honest answer is yes — the curriculum is
excellent, the structure is working, the intervention is exactly right.
Sometimes the honest answer is no. Courage begins the moment we're willing to
admit which one it is.
Are We Building an Engine of Joy?
That's the question I hope follows you through every page of
this book, and through every year of teaching after it. Not are the children
entertained, not are they happy every single second — an engine, a
system deliberately designed to generate the conditions under which human
beings actually want to learn. Do children belong? Are they known? Are they
safe, and challenged, and given real work worth doing? Can they fail and try
again, use their hands, move, laugh, make something, teach someone else,
discover they're good at something nobody's noticed yet? Can they become more
than their current score? And the hardest question underneath all of it: if you
were the child, would you want to spend your own childhood there?
That question has guided me more than any framework I've
ever read. I built the classroom I wished had existed for me. Along the way, I
found out how many other children needed exactly that same room. This book is
the story of what I found. But I want to be honest about who actually taught it
to me. It wasn't a program, a philosophy, or a professor. It was every student
who ever sat in front of me across twenty-five years, showing me, one at a
time, exactly what they needed before I had the language to name it. They were
the doorway into everything this book describes. This is their book as much as
it is mine.
It's also an invitation — because the future of education
won't be built by one teacher, saved by one program, or solved by one
technology. It will be built classroom by classroom, by people willing to stay
curious, question, listen, observe, and change their minds when the evidence
asks them to. People willing to believe that the child in front of them matters
more than the comfort of the system around them.
That is fidelity to the child. That is the Joy Engine. And
whether we're brave enough to build it may be the actual question underneath
everything else in the pages that follow.
Notes
- Bloom,
B. S. (1984). The 2 Sigma Problem: The Search for Methods of Group
Instruction as Effective as One-to-One Tutoring. Educational
Researcher, 13(6), 4–16.
- The
historical record on Aspasia of Miletus is genuinely limited and much of
what survives is filtered through Plato's Menexenus, satirical
portrayals by contemporary comic playwrights, and later idealized
retellings — presented here accordingly, as a tradition rather than a
settled biography.
- Stanford's
design-thinking process and its empathy-first framing are documented in
the d.school's own publicly available curriculum materials, as referenced
earlier in Chapter 1.
INTRODUCTION VERSION II
THE JOY ENGINE
Fidelity to the Child in Education
Education in the United States—and increasingly, education
around the world—is standing at a crossroads.
One road leads toward a future we can already see forming.
Artificial intelligence can explain nearly any academic
concept in seconds. It can generate lessons, write essays, summarize books,
translate languages, create assessments, tutor students, and adapt explanations
almost instantly. The technology is improving at a speed that makes prediction
dangerous. What seems remarkable today may seem ordinary by the time this book
reaches a classroom.
So we need to ask a question that is much larger than:
How should we use AI in schools?
The real question is:
What is school for when a machine can increasingly teach
the information?
Are we moving toward classrooms where AI systems and
increasingly sophisticated robots stand at the front of the room delivering
instruction?
Or are we going to make a different choice?
Are we going to double down on what human beings can do that
machines cannot?
Are we going to build schools around relationship, empathy,
curiosity, judgment, creativity, collaboration, courage, belonging, and joy?
Because the future of education may not be decided by how
intelligent our machines become.
It may be decided by how seriously we take the development
of the humans sitting in front of them.
This book is my argument for a human-centered future.
The Question Beneath Every Other Question
For most of modern education, the central questions have
been academic.
How do we raise reading scores?
How do we improve mathematics?
How do we close achievement gaps?
How do we prepare students for college and careers?
How do we hold schools accountable?
Those are important questions.
But I believe there is a question underneath all of them.
What kind of human being is education supposed to help a
child become?
That question changes everything.
It changes what we teach.
It changes how we teach.
It changes how we measure success.
It changes how we think about struggling students.
It changes what we mean by rigor.
And it changes what a classroom should feel like.
A child is not a test score waiting to be improved.
A child is not a data point moving through a dashboard.
A child is not an empty container waiting for information.
A child is a human being arriving in a school with a
history, a personality, fears, strengths, wounds, curiosities, abilities, and
possibilities that no standardized assessment can fully capture.
And yet much of modern education has been organized around
systems that require us to forget that.
We measure.
We sort.
We group.
We remediate.
We intervene.
We benchmark.
We monitor.
We report.
And somewhere along the way, we can lose sight of the person
we were supposed to be helping.
The central idea of this book is simple:
Education must return to fidelity to the child.
Not fidelity to a purchased curriculum.
Not fidelity to a pacing guide.
Not fidelity to an assessment platform.
Not fidelity to a political ideology.
Not fidelity to the newest educational trend.
Fidelity to the child.
The question becomes:
What does this child need to thrive?
And then:
What do we need to build around them to make that possible?
The Shield of the Mind
Aspasia of Miletus has long fascinated me.
She represents, at least in the historical tradition
surrounding her, something I have always valued deeply: the courage to think,
to question, to reason, and to participate in difficult conversations about the
world as it is and the world as it could be.
The idea associated with that tradition—that education
should help develop the mind as a shield—speaks directly to the moment we are
living in.
The purpose of education cannot simply be to fill a child's
head with information.
Information is everywhere now.
The purpose of education must increasingly be to help
children learn how to think.
How to question.
How to evaluate.
How to recognize manipulation.
How to examine evidence.
How to change their mind when the evidence changes.
How to distinguish confidence from truth.
How to ask the difficult question that everyone else has
quietly decided not to ask.
A mind that can think is difficult to control.
A mind that can question is difficult to deceive.
And a child who has learned to reason can walk into a
complicated world carrying something more valuable than a memorized answer.
They carry the ability to find one.
That idea has followed me throughout my life, although I did
not always have language for it.
My education began with a problem I could not reason my way
around.
I could not read and write the way other children could.
And I could not hide it forever.
The Child Who Could Not Pretend
There are some things you can bluff your way through as a
child.
Reading was not one of them.
Writing was not one of them.
I learned early that school had a way of exposing the things
you could not do.
Eventually, I would be diagnosed with dyslexia and
dysgraphia.
But before there were explanations, there was simply
failure.
Or at least what felt like failure.
I watched other children do things that seemed to require an
entirely different operating system from the one I had been given.
They read.
I struggled.
They wrote.
I struggled.
They seemed to understand the rules of school.
I was never entirely certain anyone had explained those
rules to me.
And there is a particular kind of pain that comes from
believing everyone else has been given a map you cannot read.
I was picked on.
I was laughed at.
School was not, for me, automatically a sanctuary.
There were mornings when I hated getting up because I knew
where I was going.
I have described school, at times, as a small death.
That may sound dramatic to someone who loved school.
It does not feel dramatic to a child who dreads walking
through the door.
But something else was happening at the same time.
I was becoming curious.
And curiosity, in the end, may have been the greatest gift I
was ever given.
I wanted to know why.
Why was school so difficult for me?
Why did some children thrive while others disappeared?
Why were some students called gifted while others were
quietly taught to lower their expectations?
Why did certain classrooms feel alive while others felt like
places where time went to disappear?
Why did some teachers change lives?
Why did others seem to be trapped inside systems they did
not believe in?
And perhaps most importantly:
What if the problem was not always the child?
What if sometimes the system needed to change?
Curiosity Became My Compass
I have never been very good at accepting an answer simply
because someone important told me it was true.
That has probably made my life more difficult on occasion.
But it has also taken me around the world.
My travels to Sweden became one of the most important
turning points in my life.
I originally went to expand my horizons.
I wanted to see another country.
I wanted to experience another culture.
I wanted to understand how other educators thought about
teaching and learning.
I worked with a cohort of teachers and educators, many from
across Europe, and the experience began changing the questions I asked.
My master's work eventually focused on the acculturation of
second- and third-generation non-European families and students within the
Swedish educational system.
At its heart, the question was profound:
How do you build an educational system in which children
from dramatically different cultural, linguistic, and educational backgrounds
can genuinely thrive?
Not simply attend.
Not simply comply.
Not simply survive.
Thrive.
That question became personal.
Because I had spent much of my own childhood inside an
educational system that did not always know what to do with me.
And I began wondering what would happen if we built
classrooms differently.
What if we began with the child?
What if we observed before we intervened?
What if we listened before we labeled?
What if we treated curiosity as a strength?
What if we understood that a child's difficulty might
contain information about the environment surrounding them?
What if education was not something we did to
children?
What if education was something we built with them?
Empathy Is a Form of Intelligence
Years later, I encountered the design-thinking process
associated with Stanford and other innovation communities.
The language was different from education, but the idea felt
immediately familiar.
You cannot solve a problem you do not understand.
And you cannot understand a human problem entirely from a
distance.
You have to get close.
You have to observe.
You have to listen.
You have to experience what the people living with the
problem are actually experiencing.
You have to develop empathy.
That word has become fashionable enough that it can
sometimes lose its force.
But empathy may be one of the most powerful forms of human
intelligence we possess.
Empathy changes the question.
Instead of asking:
Why won't this child behave?
You begin asking:
What is this child experiencing?
Instead of:
Why isn't this student trying harder?
You ask:
What has this student learned to believe about
themselves?
Instead of:
Why can't this family get it together?
You ask:
What barriers are standing between this family and
success?
Empathy does not mean lowering expectations.
It means understanding where someone is standing before
deciding where they need to go next.
My own childhood gave me that perspective.
Being laughed at did not make me stronger because suffering
is inherently good.
It made me more aware of what cruelty feels like.
Being excluded did not make me wise because exclusion is a
useful educational strategy.
It gave me insight into the importance of belonging.
Struggling did not automatically make me a better teacher.
But it gave me something that cannot be learned from a
professional-development slideshow.
I knew what it felt like to be sitting in the room while
wondering whether everyone else knew something about you that you did not know
yourself.
I knew what it felt like to believe that intelligence
belonged to other people.
And I never wanted a child in my classroom to feel that way
if I could help it.
A Miracle Called The Sound of Music
My life did not move in a straight line.
There were failures.
There were detours.
And there were miracles.
One of those miracles was being cast in The Sound of
Music.
For someone who struggled to find a place inside traditional
academic systems, the arts offered something different.
Performance offered a doorway.
It offered expression.
Community.
Creativity.
A different definition of competence.
I learned something that education still needs to remember:
A child may fail to shine in one environment while
carrying extraordinary gifts that become visible somewhere else.
That experience stayed with me.
It helped shape my belief that art is not decoration.
Music is not an interruption.
Drama is not what happens after the real work is done.
For many children, these are doors.
And once a child walks through the right door, they may
discover rooms inside themselves nobody knew were there.
The job of education is not to force every child through the
same doorway.
The job is to build a school with enough doors.
The Search for the Classroom I Needed
Eventually, I became a teacher.
And once I had my own classroom, I began conducting a long
experiment.
The experiment was not designed in a laboratory.
It was designed in real classrooms with real children.
The question was always some version of the same thing:
How do we build a learning environment where more
children can thrive?
I looked everywhere.
Montessori.
Structured literacy.
Orton-Gillingham.
Singapore mathematics.
Cooperative learning.
Classical education.
Project-based learning.
Odyssey of the Mind.
Games.
Art.
Puppetry.
Cooking.
Making.
Peer teaching.
Socratic discussion.
Explicit instruction.
Hands-on learning.
The ideas did not always fit neatly together.
That was the point.
I was not looking for an ideology.
I was looking for what worked.
And gradually, something began to emerge.
Not a program.
Not a curriculum.
Not a purchased solution.
A set of conditions.
Over years of teaching, experimenting, failing, adjusting,
watching, listening, and asking difficult questions, I began discovering what I
now call the seven foundations of the Joy Engine.
They were not handed to me.
I found them.
One classroom at a time.
One mistake at a time.
One child at a time.
The Seven Foundations
The seven foundations are my attempt to name the conditions
I discovered along the way.
The Sanctuary asks whether a child feels safe enough
to learn.
The Structure asks whether the environment is
organized enough for children to succeed.
The Dosage asks whether students receive enough
practice and repetition for learning to become durable.
The Bridge asks whether we are providing multiple
pathways from concrete experience to abstraction.
The Multiplier asks how a classroom can distribute
expertise and attention so that learning is not limited to one adult standing
in front of twenty-five or thirty children.
The Joy Engine asks whether learning is emotionally
alive enough to be remembered and worth returning to.
The Mastery Contract asks whether students know where
they are going and what success looks like.
These foundations do not promise perfection.
Nothing in education does.
Children are human beings.
They are complicated.
Classrooms are complicated.
Families are complicated.
Life enters the school every morning whether the lesson plan
has room for it or not.
But I believe these foundations can help us build something
better.
They are an attempt to replicate—not perfectly, but
deliberately—some of the advantages that individualized attention provides.
A one-to-one tutor sees the child.
The Joy Engine asks:
How can a classroom of thirty learn to see every child
more clearly?
A tutor adjusts instruction immediately.
The Joy Engine asks:
How can a system create multiple pathways and feedback
loops inside a larger group?
A tutor knows when a child is engaged.
The Joy Engine asks:
How can we build an environment that makes disengagement
harder and meaningful participation easier?
The goal is not to turn teachers into machines.
The goal is to build classrooms that behave more
intelligently because they are designed around how human beings actually learn.
The Hard Questions
This book is not asking you to agree with everything I have
done.
In fact, I hope you don't.
I hope you ask questions.
I hope you challenge me.
I hope you look at your own classroom and ask whether the
things I describe would work differently for your students.
Because the spirit of this book is not:
Do exactly what I did.
The spirit of this book is:
Ask why you are doing what you are doing.
Ask the hard question.
Why this curriculum?
Why this assessment?
Why this intervention?
Why this schedule?
Why this behavior system?
Why are the children sitting?
Why are they moving?
Why are they engaged?
Why are they disengaged?
Why is this child struggling?
What have we actually observed?
What assumptions are we making?
What are we measuring?
What are we ignoring because it is difficult to measure?
And finally:
If we were building this classroom from the ground up for
the children actually sitting in it, would we build it the same way?
That is the question at the center of fidelity to the child.
And sometimes the answer will be yes.
Sometimes the curriculum is excellent.
Sometimes the structure is working.
Sometimes the intervention is exactly what the student
needs.
But sometimes the honest answer is no.
And courage begins when we are willing to admit it.
The Crossroads
We are approaching a future in which technology will become
increasingly capable.
AI will become better at information.
Better at instruction.
Better at simulation.
Better at adaptation.
Perhaps better at tasks we currently consider uniquely
human.
That future is coming whether we are ready or not.
But technology cannot answer the question of what kind of
human beings we want to become.
That remains our responsibility.
We can build schools around efficiency.
Or we can build schools around humanity.
We can automate more of childhood.
Or we can protect the parts of childhood that require other
human beings.
We can give children increasingly powerful tools.
Or we can also teach them the wisdom required to use those
tools well.
We can prepare students to compete with machines.
Or we can help them become more fully human.
I believe the second path is the better one.
And I believe that path begins in the classroom.
Not with a revolutionary policy.
Not with a billion-dollar technology platform.
Not with another initiative.
It begins when a teacher looks at a child and asks:
What do you need?
And then refuses to stop asking until the answer becomes
clearer.
Are We Building an Engine of Joy?
This is the question I hope follows you through every page
of this book.
When you look at your classroom, your school, your district,
or your educational system, ask:
Are we building an engine of joy?
Not an entertainment system.
Not a reward system.
Not a classroom where children are happy every second.
An engine.
A system deliberately designed to generate the conditions in
which human beings want to learn.
Do children belong?
Are they known?
Are they safe?
Are they challenged?
Do they have meaningful work?
Can they fail and try again?
Can they use their hands?
Can they move?
Can they laugh?
Can they make something?
Can they teach someone?
Can they discover that they are good at something nobody has
noticed yet?
Can they become more than their current score?
And perhaps the hardest question of all:
If you were a child, would you want to spend your
childhood there?
That question has guided me more than any framework.
I built the classroom I wished had existed for me.
And along the way, I discovered that many other children
needed it too.
This book is the story of what I found.
It is also an invitation.
The future of education will not be built by one teacher.
It will not be saved by one program.
It will not be solved by one technology.
It will be built, classroom by classroom, by people willing
to remain curious.
People willing to question.
People willing to listen.
People willing to observe.
People willing to change their minds.
People willing to believe that the child in front of them is
more important than the comfort of the system surrounding them.
That is fidelity to the child.
That is the Joy Engine.
And the future of education may depend on whether we are
brave enough to build it.









No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you!