Grade 1 Comparison Sample Practice Word Problems
Grade 1 Part-Part-Whole Sample Practice Word Problem
1. Peter has 3 goats living on his farm. Julio has 9 goats living on his farm. How many more goats does Julio have than Peter?
2. Willie picked 16 apples in the orchard. Emi picked 10 apples in the orchard. How many more apples did Willie pick than Emi?
3. Lee collected 13 eggs from the hens in the barn. Ben collected 18 eggs from the hens in the barn. How many fewer eggs did Lee collect than Ben?
4. a. Shanika did 14 cartwheels during recess. Kim did 6 more cartwheels than Shanika. How many cartwheels Kim do?
b. How many cartwheels did Shanika and Kim do?
Read the word problem.
Draw a tape diagram or double tape diagram and label.
Write a number sentence and a statement that matches the story.
Teacher Model 1. Anton drove around the racetrack 12 times during the race. Rose drove around the racetrack 5 more times than Anton. How many times did Rose go around the racetrack?
1. Fran donated 11 of her old books to the library. Darnel donated 8 of his old books to the library. How many more books did Fran donate than Darnel?
2. During recess 7 students were reading books. There were 17 students playing on the playground. How many fewer students were reading books than playing on the playground?
3. Maria is 18 years old. Her brother Nikil is 12 years old. How much older is Maria than her brother Nikil?
4. a. It rained 15 days in the month of March. It rained 4 more days in April than in March. How many days did it rain in April?
b. How many days did it rain in March and April?
Grade 1 Math Word Problem Objective: Solve compare with bigger or smaller unknown problem types.
1. Nikil baked 5 pies for the contest. Peter baked 3 more pies than Nikil. How many pies did Peter bake for the contest?
2. Emi planted 12 flowers. Rose planted 3 fewer flowers than Emi. How many flowers did Rose plant?
3. Ben scored 15 goals in the soccer game. Anton scored 11 goals. How many more goals did Ben make than Anton?
4. Kim grew 12 roses in a garden. Fran grew 6 fewer roses than Kim. How many roses did Fran grow in the garden?
5. Maria has 4 more fish in her tank than Shanika. Shanika has 16 fish. How many fish does Maria have in her tank?
6. Lee has 11 board games. Lee has 5 more board games than Darnel. How many board games does Darnel have?
1. Tamra decorated 13 cookies. Kiana decorated 5 fewer cookies than Tamra. How many cookies did Kiana decorate?
1. Kim went to 15 baseball games this summer. Julio went to 10 baseball games. How many more games did Kim go to than Julio?
2. Kiana picked 14 strawberries at the farm. Tamra picked 5 fewer strawberries than Kiana. How many strawberries did Tamra pick?
3. Willie saw 7 reptiles at the zoo. Emi saw 4 more reptiles at the zoo than Willie. How many reptiles did Emi see at the zoo?
4. Peter jumped into the swimming pool 6 times more than Darnel. Darnel jumped in 9 times. How many times did Peter jump into the swimming pool?
5. Rose found 16 seashells on the beach. Lee found 6 fewer seashells than Rose. How many seashells did Lee find on the beach?
6. Shanika got 12 cards in the mail. Nikil got 5 more cards than Shanika. How many cards did Nikil get?
Grade 1 Math Word Problem Objective: Solve compare with bigger or smaller unknown problem types.
1. Kiana wrote 3 poems. She wrote 7 fewer than her sister Emi. How many poems did Emi write?
2. Maria used 14 beads to make a bracelet. Maria used 4 more beads than Kim. How many beads did Kim use to make her bracelet?
3. Peter drew 19 rocket ships. Rose drew 5 fewer rocket ships than Peter. How many rocket ships did Rose draw?
4. During the summer Ben watched 9 movies. Lee watched 4 more movies than Ben. How many movies did Lee watch?
5. Anton’s family packed 10 suitcases for vacation. Anton’s family packed 3 more suitcases than Fatima’s family. How many suitcases did Fatima’s family pack?
6. Willie painted 9 fewer pictures than Julio. Julio painted 16 pictures. How many pictures did Willie paint?
Teacher Models: 1. Willie splashed in 7 more puddles after the rainstorm than Julio. Willie splashed in 11 puddles. How many puddles did Julio splash in after the rainstorm?
1. Julio listened to 7 songs on the radio. Lee listened to 3 more songs than Julio. How many songs did Lee listen to?
2. Shanika caught 14 ladybugs. She caught 4 more ladybugs than Willie. How many ladybugs did Willie catch?
3. Rose packed 3 more boxes than her sister to move to their new house. Her sister packed 11 boxes. How many boxes did Rose pack?
5. Rose’s brother hit 12 tennis balls. Rose hit 6 fewer tennis balls than her brother. How many tennis balls did Rose hit?
6. With his camera, Darnel took 5 more pictures than Kiana. He took 13 pictures. How many pictures did Kiana take?
Grade 1 Math Word Problem Objective: Solve compare with bigger or smaller unknown problem types
1. Tony is reading a book with 16 pages. Maria is reading a book that has 10 pages. How much longer is Tony’s book than Maria’s book?
2. Shanika built a block tower using 14 blocks. Tamra built a tower by using 5 more blocks than Shanika. How many blocks did Tamra use to build her tower?
3. Darnel walked 10 minutes to get to Kiana’s house. The next day, Kiana took a shortcut and walked to Darnel’s house in 8 minutes. How much shorter in time was Kiana’s walk?
4. Lee read 16 pages in a book. Kim read 4 fewer pages in her book. How many pages did Kim read?
5. Nikil’s soccer team has 13 players. Nikil has 4 fewer players on his team than Rose’s team. How many players are on Rose’s team?
6. After dinner, Darnel washed 15 spoons. He washed 9 more spoons than forks. How many forks did Darnel wash?
Teacher Model 1. Maria jumped off the diving board into the pool 3 fewer times than Emi. Maria jumped off the diving board 14 times. How many times did Emi jump off the diving
1. Fatima walks 15 blocks home from school. Ben walks 8 blocks. How much longer is Fatima’s walk home from school than Ben’s?
2. Maria bought a basket with 13 strawberries in it. Darnel bought a basket with 4 more strawberries than Maria. How many strawberries did Darnel’s basket have in it?
3. Tamra has 5 books checked out from the library. Kim has 11 books checked out from the library. How many fewer books does Tamra have checked out than Kim?
5. During recess, Emi found 16 rocks. She found 5 more rocks than Peter. How many rocks did Peter find?
6. The first grade football team has 12 players. The first grade team has 6 fewer players than the second grade team. How many players are on the second grade team?
Grade 1 Math Word Problem Objective: Share and critique peer strategies for solving problems of varied types.
1. Nine letters came in the mail on Monday. Some more letters were delivered on Tuesday. Then there were 13 letters. How many letters were delivered on Tuesday?
2. Ben and Tamra found a total of 18 seeds in their watermelon slices. Ben found 7 seeds in his slice. How many seeds did Tamra find?
3. Some children were playing on the playground. Eight children came to join, and now there are 14 children. How many children were on the playground in the beginning?
4. Willie went for a walk for 7 minutes. Peter went for a walk for 14 minutes. How much shorter in time was Willie’s walk?
5. Emi saw 12 ants walking in a row. Fran saw 6 more ants than Emi. How many ants did Fran see?
6. Shanika has 13 cents in her front pocket. She has 8 fewer cents in her back pocket. How many cents does Shanika have in her back pocket?
Teacher Model 1. Emi tried on 8 fewer costumes than Nikil. Emi tried on 4 costumes. How many costumes did Nikil try on?
1. Eight students lined up to go to art. Some more lined up to go to music. Then there were 12 students in line. How many students lined up to go to music?
2. Peter rode his bike 5 blocks. Rose rode her bike 13 blocks. How much shorter was Peter’s ride?
3. Lee and Anton collected 16 leaves on their walk. Nine of the leaves were Lee’s. How many leaves were Anton’s?
4. The team counted 11 soccer balls inside the net. They counted 5 fewer soccer balls outside of the net. How many soccer balls were outside of the net?
5. Julio saw 14 cars drive by his house. Julio saw 6 more cars than Shanika. How many cars did Shanika see?
6. Some students were eating lunch. Four students joined them. Now there are 17 students eating lunch. How many students were eating lunch in the beginning?
Word Problem Types Joining Problems Word Problem
Result Unknown: Mr. Taylor had 5 board games. Jesus gave him 8 more board games. How many board games does Mr. Taylor have all together?
Change Unknown: Mr. Taylor has 5 board games. How many more board games does he need to have 13 board games all together?
Start Unknown: Mr. Taylor had some classroom board games. Anthony donated 5 more board games. Now he has 21 board games. How many board games did Mr. Taylor have to start with?
Word Problem Result Unknown
Basic: Mr. Taylor had 13 board games. He gave 5 to Ryan. How many board games does Mr. Taylor have left?
Advanced: Mr. Taylor had 41 probability board games and 67 stratagem board games. He gave 7 stratagem board games to Ryan. How many board games does Mr. Taylor have left all together?
Change Unknown: Mr. Taylor had 13 board games. He gave some to Danna. Now he has 5 board games left. How may board games did Mr. Taylor give to Danna?
Start Unknown: Mr. Taylor had some board games. He gave 5 to Henny. Now he has 8 board games left. How many board games did Mr. Taylor have to start with?
Part-Part-Whole Word Problem
Whole Unknown: Mr. Taylor has 5 strategy board games and 8 chance board games. How many board games does he have?
Part Unknown: Mr. Taylor has 14 board games. ¼ are strategy board games and the rest are chance board games. How many strategy board games does Mr. Taylor have?
Comparing Word Problem
Difference Unknown: Mr. Taylor has 13 board games. Alex has 5 board games. How many more board games does Mr. Taylor have than Alex?
Compare Quantity Unknown: Roxanne has 10 board games. Mr. Taylor has 50% more than Roxanne. How many board games does Mr. Taylor have?
Reference Unknown: Mr. Taylor has 24 board games. He has 75% more board games than Jason. How many board games does Jason have?